12 June 2008

PASTA AND BROCCOLI IN CREAMY MOZZARELLA SAUCE

When I was about 12 years old, George Bush Sr. manifested his dislike of broccoli by banning the vegetable from the White House menu. Reportedly, he said, "I'm President of the United States, and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli!" This caused an outcry from broccoli growers, who feared that the president would set a nationwide trend, although, really, when you think about it, I doubt George Bush started a single fad in his life. I remember being shocked that the president didn't like broccoli: not only was it my favorite vegetable, but it was also the favorite vegetable of my siblings. It was part of our supper menu twice a week, even surviving attempts my mother to get us to like other vegetables, such as winter squash and lima beans (I'm still not fond of either one). Fast forward 15 years or so. With his children all basically grown up, my father finally confessed that he didn't really like broccoli; he'd only eaten it for the past 25 years to keep his kids eating at least one vegetable. It worked--my siblings and I still like broccoli.

I especially love broccoli mixed with pasta and a creamy sauce, and the following recipe fits the bill perfectly. Even better, it's super easy. You can serve it as a one-dish meal when you're feeling lazy, or add salad and bread to flesh out the menu.

PASTA AND BROCCOLI IN CREAMY MOZZARELLA SAUCE

1 pound pasta
16 ounces frozen baby broccoli florets*
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour
⅔ cup half and half
2 teaspoons Morton's Nature's Seasons seasoning blend
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Cook pasta and broccoli according to package directions.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour. Gradually add half and half and bring to simmering but do not boil. Stir in seasoning. Add cheese and stir until melted.
3. Toss together cooked pasta, cooked broccoli, and sauce. Place in a large serving dish and serve immediately.

Makes 6 servings.

Nutrition facts per serving: 440 calories, 13 g total fat, 38 mg cholesterol, 616 mg sodium, 62 g total carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 4 g sugars, 13 g protein.

*You can substitute 5 cups of fresh broccoli florets and steam them until tender in step 1.

No comments: